- Created on Friday, 23 November 2012 13:46
- Written by Pat Pughe-Parry
- Hits: 168
Living ADDventure® (LADD®) is a South African based organization dedicated to assisting people with ADD and ADHD to live healthy, confident and productive lives.
Founded by Dave Pughe-Parry in 2000 as a result of his being diagnosed with ADHD in his mid forties, Dave has dedicated his life to understanding ADHD and the myriad of conditions that co-occur with it.
Dave pioneered ADHD Coaching in South Africa and has developed a wealth of material that is used by LADD® Coaches and Group Leaders.
In 2007 Prof Andre Venter recommended that LADD® be listed as a supplier of services to PANDA - the Paediatric and Neurological Development Association in South Africa. All leading medical professionals in the paediatric field are members of this body.
Pat Pughe-Parry who was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 51 met Dave in 2006 and is now his business partner and wife. Sharing Dave's passion, Pat is responsible for day to day management, marketing, and digital communications.
Our Head Office is in Bothas Hill, Kwa Zulu Natal and we currently have 2 active coaches one in Benoni, Gauteng and one in Somerset West, Western Cape.
ADHD, being a complex condition is not "cured" nor even "managed" by a single treatment or methodology. LADD® therefore is firmly multi-disciplinary in its approach to helping those with the condition to live contented and productive lives. These include in order of importance:
- Acceptance that it is a Family Condition and that the whole family need to work together in an environment of love and mutual support. Extended family, the school and/or workplace all have a role to play.
- Appropriate ADHD Medication enables the person with ADHD to manage their distraction so that they can make the necessary behaviour changes. As the ADDer learns to manage his or her life they may not need the medication in the future or may only need it at certain times.
- ADHD Coaching which is significantly different from life skills coaching or therapy. It is necessary to help the ADDer learn life skills which have been missed due to problems with distraction in childhood. Learning these skills enables the ADDer to build a track record of success and build self esteem.
- OT and other Therapies assist the ADDer with sensory issues and other physical and intellectual disabilities that may be present
- A pragmatic approach to Nutrition – ADDers frequently have issues with textures of foods and are therefore regarded as fussy eaters. By following sound nutrition principles but being flexible in the implementation thereof reduces anxiety and family trauma
- Exercise for those with ADHD provides a release from hyperactivity but must be in a format that is not boring and repetitive.
LADD provides individual and group ADHD Coaching, Family Interventions, ADHD Impairments Assessments and talks, training and workshops for parents, adults, teens, educators and medical professionals interested in ADHD.